Conservation & Ecology
November’s Society of the Month is the Conservation & Ecology Society. They’ve been very hard at work engaging with not just their members and putting on countless events, but also with our local Swansea community. Here is what they got up to over the course of November:
Over November, they:
- Ran a charity coffee morning for WWT
- Raised £100 at our pub quiz for The Size of Wales charity
- Ran a collaborative event with the Ornithological Society doing a bird ID hike on the Gower
- Volunteered at the College of Science open day to discuss society events at Swansea University
- Ran a beach clean on Bay Campus
- Builty a bug hotel with the Sustainability Team’s Tyfu Tawe
- Held a study session in Wallace,
- Held another charity coffee morning on Bay Campus
- Attended the Student Forum
- Attended the Student Ambassador Charity Showcase to show support
- Volunteered at a Fair Trade stand at the Green Fayre held in the National Waterfront Museum
- Raised nearly £50 by showing David Attenborough’s Seven Worlds, One Planet at Cinema&Co.
- Started a collaborative project with SUTV this month to create a trailer for our society,
- Organised a tree ID walk to celebrate National Tree Week and have an animal-themed Sin Social
We highly commend their efforts this month and look forward to seeing what else they’re got planned for the rest of the year!
Other Society News
- Seen a 27% increase in members as of this year!
- Record-breaking attendance for their Welcome Social – 60 people!
- Hosted various events:
- Crôl of Duty
- Inter-College Dance and Sports competition at Aberystwyth University
- Night of Tenpin bowling
- Pub Quiz in Tŷ Tawe
- Strengthened ties with other Welsh-speaking clubs e.g. Clwb Rygbi Tawe by having a joint Christmas meal at Pub on the Pond and supported them through Movember as they all grew their moustaches!
- Ran a Movember Quiz Night, raised £70!
- Choral v Show Choir Laser Tag Social – Choral won 183,130 to 177,882!
Dance Society – Strictly Come Dancing
On the evening of November 15th, the Dance Society held their annual Strictly event at Fiction. Just over 100 people attended their version of the TV show Strictly Come Dancing. They raised £384 for SANE, a charity dedicated to supporting and improving mental health. Swansea University sports players paired with dancers and rehearsed together over a course of 5 weeks in order to perform an original dance routine in front of peers and cameras. All contestants were volunteers who used their free time to prepare for this event in order to assist the Society in raising money via entry fees for SANE. It was a hugely successful event, with lots of dancing and it was great to see everyone supporting each other, having a good laugh and enjoying the positive atmosphere!
November has been all about Movember and raising awareness for men’s mental and physical health and raising money for the Movember Foundation. The Chemical and Environmental Engineering Society hosted a College of Engineering Pub Quiz at Bierkeller where 200 people turned up and they raised £215 for Charity. They were the only non-sporting society that was on the leaderboard for the Swansea Movember Challenge and their total money raised kept increasing throughout the month! They had a joint College of Engineering White Tshirt Social where over 80 members attended. They have a Christmas meal social coming up, the Frank Morton Sports Day in February where nearly 50 people signed up and last year they had 30 people attend. Finally, they have also confirmed a tour to Budapest at the end of February which they are all very excited about!